The venture capital industry helps to fuel the everchanging world of innovation. But, through the investment and advisory services it provides to portfolio companies and limited partners in the quest to drive value, venture capitalists face unconventional risks that lend themselves to nonstandard insurance solutions.
The continual evolution of technology and life science driven businesses that our clients invest in unleashes new risk hurdles. From an increasing regulatory environment and exit strategy conflicts to follow-on rounds, challenged valuations or intellectual property problems, our specialization keeps us current.
AHT’s division, Mason AHT, has over two decades of experience serving the venture capital space with an expansive client base of venture, angel and private equity firms.
Via our co-founding position in TechAssure, Mason AHT has been endorsed by the National Venture Capital Association for close to 10 years. We are actively involved in the New England Venture Capital Association and are the founder of AngelAssure, which serves the needs of angel groups and their membership. Mason’s alliance with the legal community that represents many of our clients furthers our ability to design critical insurance coverage enhancements with the core insurers that specialize in the venture capital industry. The result is our ability to offer the best product solutions to our clients given our dedication and understanding of their business.
Let’s Talk about Your Next Venture
Complexity of Risk
Venture capital firms face an array of risks and exposures driven by the complexity of their operations between internal fund management to portfolio company performance. As such, the spectrum of risk can range from simple insurance requirements to be compliant with the firm’s lease of office space to disgruntled founders following a down round; employment related actions to increased regulatory scrutiny; complicated merger/acquisition to IPO exits.
Dedication and Knowledge
With over two decades of commitment to the venture capital industry, AHT and Mason AHT have continued to meet the expanding needs of the venture capital community by addressing all aspects of a firm’s exposure to risk. In lieu of providing solutions in only one or two areas, we offer a suite of insurance products with the simple goal of helping VC clients neutralize risk.
Proven Crafted Solutions
Venture Capital Asset Protection Policy (VCAP)
- Management Liability
Liability arising from management/operations of firm/fund protecting directors, officers general partners in their capacities as such, along with the fund, management company and other related entities
- Professional Liability
Liability arising from provision (or failure to provide) professional services
- Outside Directorship Liability
Coverage for firm/fund individuals in director/officer capacity at a portfolio company in excess of D&O and indemnification provided by that portfolio company
- Employment Practices Liability
Liability arising out of an employment practices wrongful act (i.e. wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination)
- Coverage designed to explicitly address the unique needs of venture and private equity firms
- Coverage pre-vetted by industry specialists, including East Coast and West Coast law firms that serve the venture capital industry
Package Policy for VC Firms
- Highly differentiated General Liability insurance eliminating restrictive coverage exclusions
- Dovetailed coverage with firm’s VCAP policy to bridge coverage gaps
- Greatest value proposition – significantly better coverage with average savings of 30% over coverage outside of the program
Portfolio Company Property/Casualty Programs
- Our expertise is extensive in all areas of the technology and life science sectors making us very astute in developing insurance programs scaled to an individual portfolio company
- Specific expertise in Professional Liability, Cyber Liability, Privacy, Clinical Trials
- Our proficiency nets costs savings and appropriately scaled programs
Portfolio Company Directors & Officers Liability Coverage
- Most comprehensive one-stop solution for portfolio companies who need to meet term sheet requirements
- Aggressive pricing solution from a total cost of risk basis
AngelAssure© is a suite of insurance solutions specifically tailored to meet the needs of the Angel community. It utilizes a strategic approach to insurance that provides customized products at competitive prices. Our professionals are leading brokers with proven expertise in navigating the risk management needs of asset managers involved in angel, venture capital and private equity investing.
AHT and Mason AHT have demonstrated expertise negotiating and tailoring policies to suit the unique structures of firms. We audit your situation to gain in-depth understanding of all elements of your firm, such as management, service offerings and fund characteristics. We then devise a comprehensive plan that provides unparalleled coverage and a risk management program to minimize claims and control exposures.